Dr. Jan Filip received his Master’s and Ph.D. degrees in Mineralogy at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic (2002 and 2008) with dissertation focused on crystal chemistry of borosilicate minerals and OH defects in nominally-anhydrous minerals. In 2005 he joined the research group of Prof. Radek Zbořil and currently he is working as a Senior Researcher and a Head of the group “Environmental nanotechnologies” of the Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials, Faculty of Science, of Palacký University in Olomouc, Czech Republic.
He underwent several foreign stays (University of Silesia in Sosnowiec, Poland; University of Vienna, Austria; Swedish Museum of Natural History, Sweden) and is actively engaged in national and international collaborations, as well as in scientific coordination of several national projects. His research interests covers synthesis of zero-valent iron nanoparticles, ferrates(IV,V,VI) and iron oxide nanoparticles, their detailed characterization and applications in technologies of water treatment, identification and fate of nanoparticles in the environment, and application of X-ray based techniques (XRD, XPS, XRF) in material science. He has coauthored over 70 papers in refereed journals.
2015 – present
Head of the group Environmental nanotechnologies, Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Material, Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.
2010 – 2015
Junior researcher, Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Material, Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.
2007 – present
Assistant Professor, Department of Experimental Physics, Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.
2005 – 2007
Researcher, Centre for Nanomaterials Research, Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.
2002 – 2008
Ph.D. – Department of Geological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
1997 – 2002
Msc. degree – Department of Geological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Specialization, fields of interest:
- Synthesis, complex characterization and environmental/technological application of iron-based nanomaterials (iron oxides, zero-valent iron, high-valent iron substances – ferrates VI).
- Natural nanoparticles – identification and complex characterization.
- X-ray based analytical techniques for characterization of nanomaterials – X-ray powder diffraction, Small-angle X-ray scattering, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, X-ray fluorescent spectroscopy.
- Environmental and applied mineralogy.
- 2008 – Department of Mineralogy, The Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm, Sweden (30 working days; Synthesis, the European Union-funded Integrated Activities grant).
- 2007 – Laboratory of Nuclear Chemistry, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary (one week, July 2007).
- 2006 – Graduate School of Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan (one week, August 2006).
- 2003–2004 – Department of Mineralogy and Crystallography, University of Vienna-Geozentre, Vienna, Austria (September 2003 to May 2004; Marie Curie Fellowships).
- 2001 – Scholarships within a CEEPUS network per one month at University of Silesia, Faculty of Earth Sciences, Mineralogy, Geochemistry and Petrography, Sosnowiec, Poland.
- Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, Texas A&M University, 1266 TAMU College Station, Texas 77843, U.S.A. – Prof. Virender K. Sharma
- K. Sharma, J. Filip, R. Zboril, R.S. Varma: Natural inorganic nanoparticles – formation, fate, and toxicity in the environment, Chemical Society Reviews, 2015, vol. 44, pp. 8410-8423. doi: 10.1039/c5cs00236b
- University of Stuttgart, IWS/VEGAS, Pfaffenwaldring 61, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany – Dr. Juergen Braun – cooperation within the project NANOREM (7FP)
- Department for Mineralogy and Crystallography, University of Vienna – Geocentre, A-1090 Vienna, Austria – Ao. Univ.-Prof. Manfred Wildner
- Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Sapienza University of Rome, I-00185 Rome, Italy – Dr. Ferdinando Bosi
- Filip, F. Bosi, M. Novák, H. Skogby, J. Tuček, J. Čuda, M. Wildner: Iron redox reactions in the tourmaline structure: High-temperature treatment of Fe3+-rich schorl, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2012, vol. 86, pp. 239-256. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.02.031.
- Department of Mineralogy, Swedish Museum of Natural History, SE-10405 Stockholm, Sweden – prof. Henrik Skogby
- Aparicio, J. Filip, H. Skogby, Z. Marusak, M. Mashlan, R. Zboril: Thermal behavior of almandine at temperatures up to 1,200A degrees C in hydrogen, PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY OF MINERALS, 2012, vol. 39, pp. 311-318. DOI: 10.1007/s00269-012-0488-x
- 2011108, Taking Nanotechnological Remediation Processes from Lab Scale to End User Applications for the Restoration of a Clean Environment (1.2.2013- 31.1.2017), FP7-NMP
- VI20162019017, Advanced nanotechnologies to minimize impact of escaped hazardous chemical substances endangering population (1.2016 – 31.12.2019), MICR
- TE01020218, Environmentally friendly nanotechnologies and biotechnologies in water and soil treatment (1.3.2012- 31.12.2019), TACR
- FR-TI3/196, Advanced technologies for sanitary and toxicological treatment of wastewater plant outlet (1.1.2011- 31.12.2014), MIT
- FR-TI3/622, Development and Utilization of Diffuse Reactive Barriers Based on MicroFe and NanoFe for Remediation (1.3.2011- 31.5.2014), MIT
- Publications: 81
- Citations: 766
- H-index: 14
A list of selected publications:
- K. Sharma, J. Filip, R. Zboril, R.S. Varma: Natural inorganic nanoparticles – formation, fate, and toxicity in the environment, Chemical Society Reviews, 2015, vol. 44, pp. 8410-8423. doi: 10.1039/c5cs00236b; IF = 33.383
- Prucek, M. Kiliánová, A. Panáček, L. Kvítek, J. Filip, M. Kolář, K. Tománková, J. Tuček, R. Zbořil: The targeted antibacterial and antifungal properties of magnetic nanocomposite of iron oxide and silver nanoparticles, Biomaterials, 2011, vol. 32, pp. 4704-4713. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2011.03.039; IF = 8.557
- Klimkova, M. Cernik, L. Lacinova, J. Filip, D. Jancik, R. Zbořil: Zero-valent iron nanoparticles in treatment of acid mine water from in-situ uranium leaching, Chemosphere, 2011, vol. 82, pp. 1178-1184. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2010.11.075. IF= 3.137
- Markova, K. Šišková, J. Filip, K. Šafářová, R. Prucek, A. Panáček, M. Kolář, R. Zbořil: Chitosan-based synthesis of magnetically-driven nanocomposites with biogenic magnetite core, controlled silver size, and high antimicrobial activity, Green Chemistry, 2012, vol. 14, pp. 2550-2558. doi: 10.1039/C2GC35545K. IF= 8.02
- Filip, R. A. Yngard, K. Siskova, Z. Marusak, V. Ettler, R. Zboril, V.K. Sharma: Mechanisms and Efficiency of the Simultaneous Removal of Metals and Cyanides by Using Ferrate(VI): Crucial Roles of Nanocrystalline Iron(III) Oxyhydroxides and Metal Carbonates, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2011, 17, 10097-10105. doi: 10.1002/chem.201100711. IF = 5.731
- Prucek, J. Tuček, J. Kolařík, J. Filip, Z. Marušák, V.K. Sharma, R. Zbořil: Ferrate(VI)-Induced Arsenite and Arsenate Removal by In-Situ Structural Incorporation into Magnetic Iron(III) Oxide Nanoparticles, Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, vol. 47, pp. 3283-3292. doi: 10.1021/es3042719. IF = 5.330
- Frydrych L. Machala, J. Tucek, K. Siskova, J. Filip, J. Pechousek, K. Safarova, M. Vondracek, J.H. Seo, O. Schneeweiss, M. Grätzel, K. Sivula, R. Zboril: Facile Fabrication of Tin-Doped Hematite Photoelectrodes, Effect of Doping on Magnetic Properties and Performance for Light-Induced Water Splitting, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2012, vol. 22, pp. 23232-23239. doi: 10.1039/C2JM34639G. IF = 6.626
- Filip, F. Karlický, Z. Marušák, M. Černík, M. Otyepka, R. Zbořil: Anaerobic Reaction of Nanoscale Zerovalent Iron with Water: Mechanism and Kinetics, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2014, vol. 118, pp. 13817-13825. doi: 10.1021/jp501846f. IF = 4.772
- European Patent, The method of synthesis of the iron nanopowder with the protective oxidic coat from natural and synthetic nanopowdered iron oxides and oxihydroxides,2013 (WO 2008/125068 A2)
- Czech patent, Composite material on the basis of iron nanoparticles in zero state bound on the surface of matrice, its preparation and usage, 2014 (305170)
- Verified technology, Technology of large-scale production of iron nanoparticles, 2012
- Verified technology, Technology of ferrate(V) and ferrate(VI) production by a solid state reactions, 2013
- Verified technology, Technology of ferrate(IV) preparation by a solid state reaction, 2013
- Verified technology, Production technology of elemental iron nanoparticles (nZVI) with combined inorganic-organic shell, 2013
- Verified technology, Technology of production nanoscale zero-valent iron (nZVI) particles in porous carbon matrix for reductive-sorption technologies of water treatment, 2014
- Verified technology, Technology of groundwater treatment by using of stabilized alkali-metals ferrates(V), 2014
- Verified technology, Oxidative-sorption water treatment technology based on application of ferrates(IV) immobilised in matrices, 2014